Tuesday, May 26, 2009

1st Maple League Game


Crocodile Dlineman Thomas Ceken plays with great intensity and is a very physical player. He is one of the many Finnish players who demonstrate great skill and ability on the field. If I was in a foxhole, Thomas is the kind of guy I would want next to me.

Today we held our first practice in 4 days and started to gear up for our 1st Maple League game this weekend. We looked a bit rusty on offense, so we have a lot of things to sort out before Saturday. I will be heading to Helsinki tomorrow and spending the night there for the scheduled league press conference on Thursday. It takes me about 4 hours to drive down to the capital city. I am scheduled to return immediately after the press conference on Thursday, and head directly to our evening practice. We will have another practice on Friday and then play at home on Saturday.
Today was a quiet day on the home front as well. We did some grocery shopping, banking, and took the kids out for a few walks and to the local playground. The kids are settling in okay. I watched the movie Cats and Dogs with the kids this afternoon and they made me promise not to tell who wins. It was a pretty good movie. We also found out today that one of Estalita's friends from high school in the UK will be coming out for a short visit in early August. His name is Paul and his girlfriend Nina will be visiting as well. Paul was at the reunion that Estalita had with her high school friends last March during our spring visit to England. We look forward to seeing them and showing them around Seinajoki.

Lights out.

2 comments:

BStrong said...

My impression of your interview...

(Reporter)- "So Coach, can you tell us what you expect from your first maple league game?"

(Slivo)- "ugh... yeah... well... I think we're going to get a little dog ear, yada yada yada... You know, this game kinda reminds me of a time that I went fishing with Bo Schembechler and Bobby Knight... that was the day we designed the 12 man defense... anyways, there is always going to be fish in the lake, but it's up to the worm to get them in the boat. Yada yada yada. We have a saying where I'm from, a little town outside of Pittsburgh that is, it a "blue collar" kind of place, we invented pro football there, and Mr. Rogers even had his neighborhood not to far from my neighborhood. That saying we like to say is, that when the tough get going, the... rest of us go to Disney Land... hey did I ever tell you about the time that Mouse (Davis) and I took the kids to Disney Land?"

Eric Slivoskey said...

Brandon,

This is exactly how the first press conference went. ha ha

I took credit for inventing the spread offense and also mentioned that I helped Al Gore invent the internet. Anyway, I hope to invent many more offenses and defenses in the future.